25 Things To Eat On The Gold Coast Before Your Summer Shred Kicks Off
Yeah, yeah, yeah—we know it’s time to start getting the rig ready for singlets and festivals, and bikinis and the beach.
But, you know, maybe it would be a good idea to have one little last hurrah before it’s all grilled chicken, broccoli, and protein shakes? If you subscribe to the logic that a healthy life is a little easier to attain with one last blowout before shit gets real, we’re right there with you.
Permission to say yes to all the carbs, sweet treats, and second helpings one last time… Here is our pick of 25 things to eat on the Gold Coast before your summer shred begins.
1. A juicy steak at Harry’s in Burleigh; primarily for those bottomless frites.
2. Rainbow bagels topped with espresso butter, poached pears, berry compote, and edible flowers, AKA “the sweet tooth” and exclusively by NYC Bagel Deli at The Kitchens.
2. Gold Coast’s tastiest cheese burger at Eddie’s Grub House. Go large and make it a triple.
3. Tuesday night is fat bastard’s night, um, we mean $20 all-you-can-eat pizza night at Gemellini, Nobby Beach.
4. Any buttery toastie on Good Day Coffee’s short but sweet brekkie menu. Before the summer shred? Make it the roasted mushie with three types of oozy melted cheese.
5. Custard-filled, sugar-dusted doughnuts from The Pastry Emporium, Bundall. Actually, basically everything.
6. Heaven does exist, and it comes in the form of drool-worthy funnel cakes by Burgster. Creations change weekly, so you’ll want to return and try ‘em all… You have been warned.
7. Smash a kilo of crispy, twice-cooked chicken wings at Taps Surfers Paradise. On Wednesdays they go for just 50 cents each. Snap.
8. Before you get bikini ready, give the menu at Pacific Fair’s Cowch a good nudge. Think: dessert pizzas, DIY ice cream creations, dessert burgers (yep, they’re a thing), thickshakes, and stupidly stacked pancakes.
9. The Three Little Pigs sliders at Mr Pigs Bakehouse. The name says is all, really.
10. Every souvlaki on the list at Greek institution, Jimmy Grants, starting with the Gold Coast’s own Super Paradise souva. Jimmy’s legendary feta and garlic fries are also mandatory.
11. Essentially, you need to eat your way through at least half of the epic new vendors at The Kitchens, ‘cause this ain’t no place for diets.
12. A pork knuckle the size of your head at Bavarian Bier Café.
13. Please tell us you’ve already tried Ze Pickle’s ridic Doughnutfukwitdis burger? If not, you’ll wanna make it happen before bikini season.
14. A carb-loaded plate of homemade pasta by Double Zero. Our pick? Potato gnocchi slathered in gorgonzola sauce and caramelised walnuts. Nom nom nom.
15. All three desserts on offer at The Loose Moose, starting with the Snickers ice cream cake. Because, desserts.
16. The original and still the best—eggs benedict on a croissant at Burleigh Social. While you’re there, sign the petition to #savethesocial.
17. Any one-metre-long pizza by Gemelli Italian. Bigger is always better.
18. Blackboard’s pillowy Nutella-injected doughnuts—as many as you can stuff in your mouth. Don’t think about the calories.
19. Lester and Earl’s wickedly delicious Stupid Fries topped with grilled bacon, cheese sauce, chilli, and grilled onions.
20. Order some of the best fish and chips of your life at 8th Ave. Terrace… sesame-infused batter, need we say more?
21. Challenge yourself to the monster Harlem Hatchet “ultimate gangster pancake stack”, or anything on the menu at Southport’s Gangster and Gatsby. *Burp*
22. ‘Cause vegans need to eat too, Greenhouse Canteen will fatten you up with a heaping plate of Pulled Jackfruit Enchilada. Who are we kidding? This stuff couldn’t be unhealthy if it tried.
23. Brooklyn Depot’s Maclovin’ Balls: crispy coated mac ‘n’ cheese rolled into spheres and deep-fried (there is a God), then washed down with a boozy Depot Shake, naturally.
24. Treat yo’ self to a half rack of all-star BBQ pork ribs at Chevron Island’s Tribeca NYC, just $22 on Wednesdays. We call bargain.
25. Still hungry? Work your way through 16 of the Gold Coast’s bucket-list desserts you need to try at least once.
Okay, smashed your way through some of these and ready to start that summer shred? Go team! Free sweat sessions are up for grabs with these next-level Gold Coast hikes.
Photo Credit: Hayley Williamson for Metropolist