50 Things To Do On The Gold Coast This Autumn
Anyone noticed it’s just that little bit darker in the mornings now?
That the sun is disappearing a little quicker when you knock off work? This can mean only one thing, autumn has come knocking and we are officially one third of our way through the year. WTAF, how did that happen?
But, before you start crying into your roundie towel and iced frappe, we’ve got a massive list of things to do on and around the Gold Coast this autumn. It’s going to keep you busy, well fed, and darn right fabulous over the next few months. Let’s do this.
1. Get cultured and a lil’ bit naughty, with tickets to London’s West End cabaret show, BLANC de BLANC.
2. Taste Commonwealth Games fever early when the Sudirman Cup world mixed team badminton champs rolls into town (May 21-28). In all seriousness, elite badminton is one of the most-watched events of the Olympics and Comm Games, and it’s right here in our backyard this May.
3. With all this refreshing rain about, you absolutely should go chasing waterfalls in autumn.
4. Pluck spray-free herbs and veg straight from the garden at Currumbin Valley Harvest; just don’t leave without ordering a steaming pot of garden-fresh herbal tea.
5. Ponder over 19 Karen Contemporary Artspace’s latest multi-artist international exhibition—Beautiful. Bizarre.
6. Scroll the schedule, make a plan, and then join the party at this year’s Bleach* Festival.
7. Autumn is the perfect time to start that exercise routine you didn’t quite get around to in summer.
8. Prepare to get seriously saucy with Fire Cue’s $22 sticky chipotle ribs nights on Thursdays or smash #allofthetacos for five bucks each on Tuesdays.
9. Get amped to celebrate all things local music, when our gal Amy Shark (#2 on Triple J’s Hottest 100) spearheads a free concert as part of the 2017 Gold Coast Music Awards at Surfers Paradise (April 27).
10. Watch the stress melt away at a whimsical country retreat hosted by the talented ladies of The Gathering Table.
11. Just like that, it’s back! Bust a move at the Blues On Broadbeach music bash (May 19-21). Best of all? It’s free!
12. Grab the popcorn and sample everything that is great about the 15th annual Gold Coast Film Festival (April 19-30); it’s one of the best things to do on the Gold Coast this autumn.
13. Graze your way through the fabulous autumn menu at Sparrow Eating House.
14. A new season calls for a new class, so we’ve worked our way through the best fitness classes on the Gold Coast to get you looking fit and feeling fab.
15. Everyone loves chocolate. Stock up on crème-filled eggs and choc bunnies, and gift them to all your friends this Easter.
16. Pay your respects at an ANZAC Day dawn service, followed by two-up and mateship at the Currumbin RSL.
17. Enjoy the drive through the lush Northern Rivers, enroute to a long table luncheon or tapas and Flamenco night with Mavis’s Kitchen 2017 event series.
18. Fashionistas practice your best Anna Wintour when Polo By The Sea returns to The Spit (May 27).
19. Check out one or all of these epic bar openings of 2016.
20. Get down to business with a workshop at The Craft Parlour (think: macramé, silver smithing, kimono sewing, wheel-thrown pottery, plus more), and then blatantly gloat about your talents to anyone who will listen.
21. Round up all the autumn leaves you can find and either run, stomp or crawl your way through them.
22. Pick up those needles and knit yourself a badass scarf.
23. Eat your way around the world without the expensive plane ticket at The Kitchens, Robina. First stop? Front row seats at Saiko teppanyaki.
24. Finally learn to master the art of baking a pumpkin pie and then bring it to every dinner party this season.
25. Make it your mission to eat through all 17 of the best new breakfasts to try in 2017, starting with the maple macadamia pancakes at SOZO Square.
26. Earn some extra cash by sharing your skills and the Gold Coast you love, with locally grown tour guiding company Localyokl.
27. Grab some organic veggies, potentially for your pie, and swan around being fabulous at the Palm Beach Farmers Market.
28. Clean out your summer wardrobe. If you didn’t wear it this year, toss it! No, donate it, to your local Vinnies or Salvos.
29. Keep that summer glow and book an afternoon of relaxation and rejuvenation at Greenhouse’s exciting new project, The Bath House; coming to Tallebudgera mid-autumn.
30. Order every cocktail on the nek-level new cocktail list at Rick Shores. Just think of all the Insta content you’ll stockpile.
31. Say a big fat hello to the great outdoors and hike to Twin Falls in the Springbrook National Park.
32. Two words: Acai Pannacotta. Move your acai obsession to another level with Espresso Moto’s Insta-worthy breakfast addition.
33. Get cosy at one of the Gold Coast’s cosiest cafes.
34. Start carb loading for winter when you try Gold Coast’s zaniest pasta dish—the flaming cheese wheel at Salt Meats Cheese.
35. Lock in friends for a Friday night bar-hopping in Palm Beach; starting at 8th Ave. Terrace for cheese and vino, moving onto Balboa for espresso martinis around the bar, and finishing on The Collective rooftop with sangria jugs.
36. Snag tickets to the match of the season, when the Gold Coast Suns take on the Brisbane Lions at Metricon Stadium (March 25).
37. Get those party feet ready for Comuna Cantina’s hip-swinging salsa dance nights. Jump onto their website for the next event.
38. Adopt or foster a dog (naww), then take it along to the best dog-friendly beaches on the Gold Coast.
39. Try out all of the best high teas on the Gold Coast, simply because you can.
40. Forget Currumbin Rock Pools; drive 10 minutes further up the road for ample space and lushness galore at Cougal Cascades.
41. Take advantage of the cooler (though not too cool) weather with a camping adventure to any of these sweet local camping spots.
42. Sport a new hairstyle for autumn with the pros at Edwards & Co. Budds Beach.
43. Binge watch an entire season of New Girl on Netflix.
44. Say one big “I Love You” to ya mum and take part in the Mother’s Day Classic Fun Run.
45. Forget about those NY resolutions you’ve already failed. Give yourself the best chance to smash it in 2017 with a creative or professional workshop at Burleigh’s Warehouse No. 5.
46. Start planning ahead for a winter escape, with any of these cute cabins and cottages on and around the Gold Coast.
47. Break a sweat on one of these sweet hiking trails on and around the Gold Coast.
48. Learn how to make barista-quality coffee and master latte art with a coffee workshop at Blackboard’s cafe academy.
49. Gather your besties or fam bam and make tracks for the Gold Coast’s newest twilight market offering, Eat Make Grow (April 15).
50. And just because this one will never get old… craft brewery hop starting at Black Hops in Burleigh, moving to Burleigh Brewing in West Burleigh, and finishing at Currumbin’s Balter Brewing. Fridays are your best bet if you want to hit all three.
In search of more things to do on the Gold Coast? Here’s how to be a tourist in your own backyard.
Photo Credit: Brooke Darling for Metropolist